With our core values of Imagination, Collaboration, Empowerment, Agility and Integrity, longstanding client partnerships, a fantastic team and expertise in rare disorders, oncology and advanced therapies, emotive are growing fast. We are searching for the next generation of talented medical colleagues to join our team.
emotive is an established, award winning and successful healthcare communications agency. We are part of a small network of individual, best-in-class agencies and consultancies called Synaptiq health who provide life science clients with integrated services across market research, communications and market access.
We are seeking an experienced Scientific Director to join one our medical teams working with a defined cluster of Global, EU and US clients, including on the EU launch of a new gene therapy in an ultra-rare paediatric disorder this year. In our agile and autonomous structure, you will lead and manage a team of talented medical writers who are all driven to transform lives by inspiring change that has a positive impact on people’s health. You will have oversight to manage the planning, delivery and quality of writing activities to the client’s satisfaction, ensuring delivery on time and within budget. Alongside your client services and strategist colleagues, you can also play an active role in business development with both new and existing clients, including on pitches.
WHO YOU ARE:
You’re a seasoned medical communications professional with a passion for excelling in medical strategy and writing and leading a team. You should have a higher degree in life sciences or related subject along with significant experience in a medical communications agency environment. As well as being dedicated to delivering excellence and upholding the highest quality standards, you’ll also be a strategic thinker, with the ability to provide input into medical affairs and medical marketing projects that meet client’s strategic objectives. You’ll be a great team leader and role model, providing leadership, coaching and mentoring support to members of your team.
- Lead a small team of in house medical writers and freelancers (where required) to deliver the company’s projects from a scientific content perspective.
- Provide oversight of all medical writing output from the team including final release
- Support the business to develop and grow its scientific services
- Work on new business proposals and pitches, leading the scientific elements, ensuring that proposals are in line with scientific strategy for the product and overseeing proposal development to ensure quality.
- Provide scientific / medical expertise across existing accounts offering clients strategic advice for their communications needs and programmes
- Work with the Client Services team in the planning, budgeting and allocation of medical writing resource to ensure accurate budgeting in proposals and appropriate resourcing for live projects.
- Oversee development and facilitation of external client ad boards, workshops and expert panels and meetings
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with colleagues at all levels within the company and proactively encourage and implement efficiency improvements where appropriate.
- Manage team members in accordance with Company policies, including recruitment, planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance and guiding professional development and addressing employee relation issues as required.
- Lead the weekly resourcing of the medical team ensuring there is the required resources to deliver to client agreed timelines.
- To act as a mentor and coach for developing team members.
- Ensure you understand and adhere to the agency’s values.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Significant expertise and experience in medical writing and scientific strategy within an agency environment
- Ability to manage multiple clients and projects to deadlines and budgets.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, managers and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to line manage junior team members, with experience of giving annual appraisals, writing objectives and measuring performance.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to maintain demanding timelines. Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities and ability to work simultaneously on multiple priorities.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent presenter with experience of proposal writing, pitching and giving new business presentations.
- Good problem solving skill.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate insights and data analysis to executable programs with defined goals.
- Strong software and computer skills, including MS Office applications.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s Degree plus MSc in relevant subject, a Medical Degree or PhD in relevant area is desirable.
- 6+ years experience in a healthcare agency environment or similar with clear career progression
WHAT WE OFFER
As well as a market leading salary package, fully supporting your career growth, we also promise to provide a great working environment with a friendly and collaborative culture. Having use of the company’s offices in London or Sussex, with fully flexible office and/or remote working, we also provide a great range of additional benefits and rewards:
- 33 days including bank holidays + the ability to buy more holiday if wanted
- Birthday day off
- Individual learning budget
- Discounts through Perkbox including retail
- Discounted gym membership and a variety of health and well-being support
- Assistance for travelling to work through Bike2work or a rail card scheme
- 6 weeks paid sabbatical after 5 years’ service